Thursday, July 22, 2010

Afternoon Update 7/22/2010

Talked to Dr. Walthall, and I'm going to up Elvis' Prednisone to twice a day. He only gets 1/4 tablet once a day right now, and that can be increased quite a bit provided I keep an eye on fluid retention. Since I suspect this is a very temporary situation, I'm going to just bump it up a bit for a few days and then taper back to his once a day dosage when Haley quits stirring things up.

w/r/t Valium. The dosage he has available is quite low. Since 1/4 tablet works for only a couple of hours, I'm going to bump that to 1/2 tablet every four hours during the night. I've given him 1/4 tablet a bit ago to help settle him some, and I suspect he may need one after dinner, but I don't want to overdo it. It doesn't knock him out, but I want to be careful with the dosage so I can use it when I really need it.

I'm also going to bump his Lasix up to 1 ml twice a day for the next three or four days. That can't stay increased for long since it can cause mental/emotional problems, but if I can keep it increased through Sunday, I think that will be OK. I can always drop the dinner dose down to .75 ml if I need to keep the morning dose higher.

(As sort of a note: Haley came in around the 7th or 8th. That puts her today at about day 15 which would sit her smack dab in the breedable stage if she was cycling normally...which she isn't. Elvis knows the timing which is what has kicked off this bit of trouble. So, looking at a calendar, I'd expect this stage to end Sunday or Monday. She'll continue to bleed out for another week or so, but I'm hoping Elvis anxiety will die back in a few days to where it was originally. That can be handled with Torb, so that would be good.)

I'm sure I'll be posting another update tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment