Thursday, January 07, 2010

A Tranquilizer Would Be Good....

Oh yes. Definitely.

Elvis woke Randall up coughing and wheezing at 5:00 this morning. When he didn't settle back down, Randall woke me up and I poked my head in here in the den to listen. Sure enough, the poor little guy was really going bad.

I went ahead and got up, though I at least was able to keep Randall from following me out...no point in both of us being up so early.

After Elvis, Haley and Skeeter ran out the back door to potty, it didn't take long to figure out what had set Elvis off. The wind had kicked up something fierce and was whipping around and howling. That was expected since a cold front is due through here, and the winds had been predicted. Matter of fact, I'd told Randall a couple of days ago that if they came in like the forecast said, Elvis would probably have a problem with it.

Sure enough. I really want to see about getting a tranquilizer of some sorts for him. Since he was coughing, I gave him a quarter of a Torbutrol and, with Haley in the basket, he crawled in with her and settled down in about 15 minutes. As you can see from the picture below, he doesn't have a care in the world now. Bless his heart...loud, protracted noises just aren't something he deals with well at all.

I am glad that his problem had an outside cause, but I am less glad that it happened at 5:00 in the morning!

(But other than this problem, he has actually had very few coughing/wheezing spells. He's got another week or so on the Prednisone, and then I'm sure Dr. Walthall will want to see him and check him over good before she decides about further heartworm treatments.)




No comments:

Post a Comment