Monday, January 11, 2010

Just a few more days of Prednisone

And Elvis has really done well on it. His last dose is Friday, so I'll call Dr. Walthall in a couple of days and see what she wants to do next. I know nothing with the heartworm treatment could happen until he was finished with the Pred. He still coughs occasionally and wheezes a bit at times, but what's going on now is a far, far cry from what he went through a month or so ago after his first heartworm treatment. The coughing now is a 1 or 2 on a scale of 10...when he coughs at all.

Also, the new sleeping arrangements with him and Skeeter in one crate is working beautifully. I'm a firm believer in a crate for every dog, but in this case, these two sleep very well together and Elvis does so much better with company. These crates are Doskocil 200 crates that I used when I showed smooth standard dachshunds, so they are plenty large enough for the two boys (at about 8 pounds each) to bunk together. Each still eats in his own crate and goes up in his own when we leave the house or need to put them up for some reason, but nights have them crated together.

That means Elvis sleeps through the night without barking...even when Haley gets Randall up at 4am to let her out. Since she's a pill about coming back through the den to her crate in our room, it's good. Randall has to yell at her to get her back in the bedroom, and that used to set Elvis off barking and wanting out. Now he's content to ignore it and go back to sleep.

I probably won't post another update until I call Dr. Walthall...and that probably won't be until Friday. She may want to see him again before we progress to the next step, but I don't think we can get out there until next Monday.

Anyway, I'll post again when I have more to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment