Monday, August 17, 2009

August 14 - 15, Friday - Sunday

I'm going back to writing this stuff under weekday subheadings. It's just too hard for me to keep track of otherwise.


I got up a bit early today and Elvis is coughing slightly. Randall said he did the same thing yesterday, though once I got up, he quit. He's had his breakfast and his Lasix and, if by 9:00 he's still coughing, I'm going to call the vet. Hell, I may just call her anyway. This cough concerns me since I have no experience with this sort of thing. I'd like to have some professional guidance in what to expect here. For all I know, it may be because I'm feeding him a bit later in the morning than I originally was and, from what Randall says, he's not coughing when he comes out of his crate. He doesn't start until he gets back inside and this morning he was pretty active and barking. Something to check, anyway.


No coughing this morning at all, so what we've seen the last couple of mornings might be an anomaly. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, though. Also, he's up to 9 pounds today which is the first time he's gotten that high in about three weeks. I think this is more related to having closer to 3 tablespoons of breakfast this morning than his usually 2. I was trying to finish up the dog food so I could make a fresh batch. He's still skittish from his keyboard encounter on Wednesday, but this morning he was sliding around and wagging his stump when I came through the baby gate the first time, so I suspect in a day or two he'll be past the worst of it.


Today was actually a very good day. No coughing at all, which was great. He weighed a little less than I like for him to, but only 2/10ths of a pound under 8 pounds, so it's not bad. As you can see from the picture I posted, he's climbed in to Skeeter's basket. This was actually the third time today, and I wanted to get a picture of it. Elvis has also learned that petting happens if his people sit on the floor and dogs crowd around. This was definitely a "learn by watching" situation, but he caught on quick.

He's staying out from under the dining room table more and more during dinner, and tonight he seemed a little less skittish of me making eye contact with him before dropping a tidbit (which is good because you've got to see WHERE he is in order to drop something for him!). He also got to spend an hour on the couch with Randall and I while we finished up our DVD Date Night. He's definitely gotten used to that. He likes to watch TV still, but mainly now he's either curled up next to me or stretched out completely relaxed. So nice to see compared to what he was doing just a few short weeks ago.

Oh. And he has a nickname now (something just about every animal in this house gets and that, really, I should probably not be allowed to do considering some past names). Since he has no tail...he's also known as Stumpy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment