Friday, February 12, 2010

Back to double crating

**sigh**

Elvis was doing so well sleeping on his own for the first few nights. Then night before last, Haley had to get up to potty. Well, it was 5:50 am really and not the middle of the night. Elvis had to get up and potty. Randall let Skeeter out with him and then double crated the boys and that was it.

This morning at 5:20, it was the same thing (minus Haley needing out), so out Elvis went and Randall told me that between the time Elvis was crated and he could pick up Skeeter to put him in with him, Elvis was pawing madly at the crate door. Once Skeeter was in, he was fine.

This is a dilemma. Apparently there isn't always some external problem causing the initial wake up...he's on so many medicines that increase thirst/urination that that just about HAS to be the culprit at times . The problem seems to be that since he wakes up and realizes he's alone, he simply has to go outside. With Skeeter in with him, that doesn't seem to be the case. Don't ask me why. My thinking is when you gotta go, you gotta go. But apparently with Elvis, it's sort of depends on something that isn't always the bladder being full.

So I told Randall I wanted to try putting Skeeter with him tonight and then not tomorrow night. I'm hoping we can do an on/off thing because Elvis does seem to be "braver" and less reliant on Skeeter since he's had a couple of nights without him.

To make things worse, I've got a head cold, so I'm sleeping in the front room. That means I miss out on the antics (not that I'm particularly coherent enough at 5:00 to make much sense if I give advice), and everything is sort of a "best guess."

Anyway, that's what I want to try. I'm hoping that the on again/off again routine will help stabilize Elvis without making him so emotionally dependent on Skeeter. Fingers crossed that will work. If it was happening at 2 in the morning, I'd go with trying a Valium, but at 5:30 or 6:00, that seems like overkill.

(The weather has been too icky and grey to get any pictures, so I'm hoping maybe this weekend will give me a better shot. If so, I should have a few to post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment